All around the globe today, there are over 4.6 billion people who use the Internet,1 and in the past 12 months alone, the total number of Internet users around the world rose by 319 million. This shows that an average of 875,000 new users is added each day. These staggering statistics point to the simple fact that the Internet is speedily taking over the world.
Due to the growing popularity in the use of the Internet, there has been a shift in the world of Internet trading. Smartphones, social media, and the likes have also contributed to the continuing rise of Internet trading.
We are beginning to see marketing move from the physical space to cyberspace. Therefore, it is only natural that, as an entrepreneur, you flow with the tide. In fact, it’s a smart move to want to take your business to the next level.
If you are considering kicking off an e-commerce business in Pakistan, you’re in the right place to get all the information you need.
Here, you will learn everything about starting an ecommerce business in Pakistan, including what products you can sell online in Pakistan, why Pakistan is such a great market choice, and how webdecent creates a means for you to achieve your goals.
What is E-commerce?
Simply put, e-commerce is every business transaction that occurs in cyberspace. It is also commonly referred to as Internet marketing. In this present digital age, e-commerce is not a strange concept. And it’s not wrong to say that wherever the Internet has reached, the idea of online transactions has also taken root. E-commerce has grown to become a huge enterprise with over 4 billion people in the world using the Internet.
As we all know, time is always of the essence. Everyone is looking for a faster way or method of getting a lot done in the shortest possible time. Very few people now want to go through the conventional means of buying products. We’ve come to look at the process as being time-consuming and unnecessarily strenuous. It is easier to shop with e-commerce.
You can now sit in the comfort of your room, unlock your smartphone and go online to search for an e-commerce store with a rich inventory. And with just one click, you can order almost anything and everything you want and have it brought to your doorstep. And with e-commerce, distance is no barrier. Sellers and entrepreneurs can ship products to you from literally any country in the world.
Now as a seller, you don’t have to rent a building or store for your enterprise. This means you won’t have to deal with the hassle of paying for electricity, water, rent, among other things. With a smartphone, you can begin trading your products and services right away without stepping out of your home. Suffice to say, the tremendous growth of the Internet has taken buying and selling to a whole new level of ease.
Today, e-commerce appears to be stifling the physical market. Both buyers and sellers are beginning to consider the Internet a better option for transactions. The reason for this is that online trading is characterized by its comfortability, 24/7 availability, its ability to save time, and most importantly cut costs. These features are what give e-commerce an edge over the physical market space.
Top reasons to invest in E-commerce in Pakistan
The Internet has penetrated deeply into the heart of Pakistan. As of January 2021, there were over 61 million Internet users in Pakistan.2 The number of Internet users increased by 11 million within the space of 2020 and 2021.
This consistent rise in the use of the net in Pakistan is astonishing. And these numbers show no sign of letting up. This obviously makes Pakistan a fertile ground for the growth and development of e-commerce.
Pakistan also holds the position of being the 5th most populous country in the world.3 Additionally, the percentage of youths in Pakistan stands at 64%.4 These statistics clearly prove that Pakistan is a gold mine that can provide a great source of income for e-commerce entrepreneurs. Still unsure? Well, here are a few reasons why you should start your online trading business in Pakistan.
Growth of technology: The digital world is picking up at a fast pace in Pakistan. This is in no way surprising as over half of the population in Pakistan are youths. This makes it a great place to start any online enterprise. The market for your products will always be available. In addition to that, the government of Pakistan is trying its best to create an environment where online transactions can thrive. This is because online transactions have a positive impact on the overall well-being of the economy.
5G broadband network and the availability of smartphones: After using the 3G and 4G broadband, Pakistan is set to launch into the 5G network broadband. This will facilitate an even stronger and faster Internet connection. The prices of smartphones have also reduced, giving a larger number of people the chance to get a smartphone and begin using the Internet.
Embrace of digital cash: Carrying out online cash transactions has gained tremendous popularity. Different countries are beginning to follow the trend as they can’t afford to ignore it anymore. Pakistan is one of those countries that have imbibed this policy. Many payment gateways have emerged as a result of this. As time goes by, this will increase the people’s trust in digital cash. The result of this would be a growth in online fund transfers. And with the ability to transfer funds online, e-commerce will become much stronger and deeply rooted in the system.
Advantageous environment for entrepreneurs: Pakistan has a really great entrepreneurial culture. They also have a government that encourages entrepreneurship. The government is always looking for means to create a conducive environment for entrepreneurs, especially Internet businesses. This has encouraged the growth of small and medium entrepreneur businesses in Pakistan.
Great export system: Pakistan is known for its exports. Here is a list of the top 10 Pakistan’s exports5 and the revenue each product generated:
- Miscellaneous textiles, and clothing: US$4.2 billion (20% of all exports)
- Clothing, accessories (not knit or crochet): $3.5 billion (16.7%)
- Knit or crochet clothing, accessories: $3.3 billion (16.1%)
- Cotton: $1.8 billion (8.4%)
- Cereals: $1.2 billion (5.9%)
- Leather/animal gut articles: $716.7 million (3.5%)
- Copper: $596.7 million (2.9%)
- Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $421 million (2%)
- Mineral fuels including oil: $393.8 million (1.9%)
- Fish: $372.5 million (1.8)
This list proves that Pakistan is doing very well in the area of exporting. As an online trader, you can tap into this lucrative system and make a fortune for yourself.
Setting up an eCommerce business in Pakistan using platforms like WordPress and Shopify involves a series of steps:
Domain and Hosting:
- Purchase a domain name and hosting plan that suits your business needs.
- Install WordPress on your hosting server.
eCommerce Plugin Installation:
- Install and configure an eCommerce plugin like WooCommerce.
- Customize settings, including currency, payment gateways, and shipping options.
Design and Development:
- Choose a theme optimized for eCommerce or customize one to fit your brand.
- Create product pages, categories, and a user-friendly interface.
- Add products with details, images, prices, and variations.
- Organize inventory and manage product listings.
Payment and Security:
- Set up secure payment gateways like PayPal, Stripe, or local options.
- Implement SSL certificates to ensure secure transactions.
SEO and Marketing:
- Optimize product pages and website content for SEO.
- Use plugins like Yoast SEO for WordPress to improve search visibility.
- Integrate marketing tools for email campaigns and social media.
Testing and Launch:
- Test the website thoroughly for functionality, responsiveness, and security.
- Launch your website and monitor its performance.
Sign up and Setup:
- Create an account on Shopify and choose a subscription plan.
- Set up your store by providing necessary details like store name, address, and currency.
- Choose a Shopify theme and customize it according to your brand.
- Add products, descriptions, images, and pricing details.
- Configure payment gateways to accept online payments.
- Set up taxes and shipping rates.
SEO and Marketing:
- Optimize product descriptions, titles, and meta tags for SEO.
- Utilize Shopify’s marketing features and apps to run campaigns.
Launch and Analytics:
- Test your website thoroughly before launching.
- Monitor website analytics to track visitor behavior and sales data.
Support and Maintenance:
- Offer customer support through various channels.
- Regularly update products, content, and security measures.